Wednesday, July 16, 2008

How come I have never heard about this before?!?

Hello everyone! Here's something you've never known about the JP Otaku-- I am in LOVE with science!!

That's right. I am aspiring to become a scientist in the years to come, and maybe facilitate the early years of my career by becoming an intern during college. Sorry, another thing I'm obsessed about.

Hmm. Maybe I should get all of the things that I'm obsessed with out in the open right now, so I can just sit and drool over them in peace for the duration of the blog.

Of course I'm obsessed with Japan and all things Japanese, but did you know that I also am in love with with Canada? I'm not too sure about it now, but for the past few months I have been doing a bit of research and found out a few positive things about the country. Though some Americans do not know much about the connections between Canada and America, Canada does have a fair sense of neighborly courtesy. For instance, did you know that although over 59% of Canadians oppose the mission of Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan (poll conducted by The Strategic Counsel in 2006), why do you think they went there? "[It is] mainly because of pressure from the U.S. in response to the attack on 9/11" (as quoted in this article) ... Now, who wouldn't lend a little resources to a lifetime friend who was down and out? -chortle-

Now, I may be just an impudent, ignorant teen, and in regard to that, I'll simply say: Canada is a beautiful place, full of free ranges, bustling metropolises and environmentally active communities-- and I guess THAT's why I can't stop thinking about it. Besides that, I am quite fond of the show "Mythbusters", the concept of boundless outer space, REGINA SPEKTOR, all breed of dog EXCEPT greyhound (when their coat has one consistent color, and they are running at high speeds, they might as well be giant bullets! -shudder-), the color turquoise, and last but not least (well, maybe not last, either): the cryogenic fluid, Liquid Nitrogen!!

Okay, for the record, this stuff's amazing. It has the power to create liquid OXYGEN by simple contact by air to its massive sub-zero temperatures, as well as do other unthinkable things such as shatter solid pennies, make latex tubing crawl on its own, and, as cited by this Wikipedia article , "[cryopreserve] blood, reproductive cells (sperm and egg), and other biological samples and materials". People use liquid oxygen in everyday life, so it saddens me almost indefinitely that we take it for granted. For instance, "freeze dried" foods are often "freeze dried" using liquid nitrogen, an excellent preserving tool. Ever tried "Dippin' Dots"? (If not, would you click right here to find out where the nearest store is? For Pete's sake, it's the middle of July!!) Even that delightful treat is made up of cryogenically frozen balls of fresh ice cream! The sheer amazement of this so called LN2 is an addition to the many wonders of the modern world, and leaves me with one thought: HOW COME I have never heard of this before?!?

Heh, here I go, obsessing over things again. :D

Here
is a Youtube video showing just one of the many possibilities with that wonderful cryogenic fluid. I especially like it because it explains the technology of the Japanese bullet train, the Shinkansen (mentioned briefly in this blog before), which I had simply happened upon and have never heard before! Now, it may or may not be true, but it was interesting that I had stumbled upon it, and creates good reasoning as to how the train is able to reach those high speeds.


I hope you've all had a wonderful 1/2 of July, and though I won't be leaving until August for about 2 weeks, I'll try to scourge up some good news in this desert of a writers block. :o i DEFINITELY will have news when I return. REGISPEK If you have any hobbies, interests, obsessions, or anything else which gives you right to call yourself an "otaku", don't be afraid to comment!

UPDATE: What was that I said before?? "The partying never ends"?? What was I, an overly social 27-year-old at the time? Well, I must have been intoxicated or something because right now I'm so bored I could beat my skull in with a cryogenically frozen banana! Is there anything I can do (I missed the Bastille Festival in NYC!), day-to-day, that can alleviate my severe boredom?

2 units of feedback:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. I check it all the time to see if you've posted anything new. It's really funny!

Good luck, and I'm passing it on to everyone I know.

Nia H. said...

Thank you so much for this comment, I really appreciate it! I'm glad you enjoy it (funny? Where'd you get that crazy idea?) and I hope your friends do as well.


...regspe