Thursday, July 2, 2009

HOLY CRAP-- #1 (J-Dorama)

Ahh... What can I say about J-Dorama?



Well, for starters... ITSTHEMOSTADDICTIVETHINGTHATIVESEENINMYLIFEGETMEAWAY
FROMTHISCOMPUTERINEEDMORERIGHTNOWASDFGHGFKDFJWEROILJ

...

Okay. Just needed to get that out... Now! :D What exactly IS a J-Dorama?

The phrase "J-Dorama" actually stands for "Japanese Drama". It refers to Japanese soaps which actually air (or have aired) on Japanese television channels. Now, I am definitely NOT a person who enjoys dramatic television shows... In fact, that's the last thing I'd watch if I had a choice. But, allow me to say this, Americans-- Asian dramas are 100% DIFFERENT from American dramas.

Yeah, American dramas-- you know, the dramatic camera angles, the woman standing out in the rain crying, the man who enters a completely calm scene with a gun... etc., etc. This is exactly the stuff I like to stay AWAY from.

My very first experience with a J-Dorama-- I was reading this blog on a website called "Tofugu.com"... It was about "J-doramaholics."

ME: "wth is a j-dorama? durrr"

So... I look up a show called "Hana Yori Dango" (or, Boys over Flowers).

I watch the first episode.

I watch the first season.

I watch the second season.

I watch the movie.

I wa-- wait, there's no more. I NEED MORE.

I look up "Akihabara@DEEP".

I watch the first episode.

I finish the season.

I wa-- NO MORE. MORE. MORE.

I look up "Kimi Wa Petto" (You're My Pet). [MORE.]

I look up "Great Teacher Onizuka" (GTO). [MORE MORE.]

I look up "Gokusen".

I look up "Nobuta wo Produce".

At this point, a month has passed, and I'm lying on the floor near my computer, wondering what happened. My family is circled around me, shouting "We love you" and "Get help now" and "Please, think of your future". And what do I do?

I look up "Hana Kimi".

I look up "Beautiful Life."

Now, what do I actually THINK about these dramas? Well, first of all, they don't FEEL like dramas. They feel like television shows, sprinkled with scandal and romance. When I finished "Hana Yori Dango", I thought, "Well, yeah, this wouldn't actually happen in real life... but still, it didn't FEEL like a show at all!" (I also thought, "I NEED MOOORE"...)

Honestly, I believe that the reason why these shows are so addictive is because some of them feel like stories your mother would tell you before you went to bed at night. They do such a great job with projecting morals, it's unbelievable. Watching Akihabara@DEEP, all I could think of was, "I'LL NEVER MAKE FUN OF A COMPUTER NERD AGAIN!!!" ......Though that doesn't actually apply to me. Since I am one. -.-

Anyways, here are a few shows that I recommend (All of which can be found on a fantastic website called "mysoju.com", which will be linked to in the sidebar.)----->

First, I'll go with "Hana Yori Dango", just because it's the most popular. Almost like crack is the most popular drug. Plus, you gotta love that Inoue Mau. What a great actress. (Not to mention the heart throb, Matsumoto Jun.)

Then, it has to be "Akihabara@DEEP" (although, I'm not actually sure that this is a J-Dorama... it seems more like a comedy.) You'll have fun learning more and more about the world's #1 electronic district, Akihabara.

My third favorite is "Gokusen". The reason is that I just love the comedic air of the main character, Yamaguchi, and her posse of yakuza brothers. On that note, I also have to recommend "GTO" (which I haven't actually really been into, just because I've been getting into "Nobuta wo Produce").

Last is-- yep-- "Nobuta wo Produce". I don't know what it is about this one! Maybe it just resembles "Hana Yori Dango" so much, I just couldn't stay away. I do enjoy the plot, though... it's very original.

You may have noticed that I'm saying AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE about these shows... and it's just because I want you to enjoy them that much more. Now-- be careful how you spend your time on these ones, and who you send them to. You want your friends to enjoy these J-doramas, not replace food and drink with them.

Finally, visit Tofugu.com! I was first launched into this whole experience by that one blog post.

--JPOtaku


3 units of feedback:

urmomsface said...

☻/
/▌
/ \
☻/
/▌
/ \
☻/
/▌
/ \
☻/
/▌
/ \
☻/
/▌
/ \
☻/
/▌
/ \
☻/
/▌
/ \
i love u
ew a bug just bit meeee

Nia H. said...

I hate those so much!! Thanks for the comment, though :D

urmomsface said...

AHAHAHAHAHA I WAS SUCH A BUTT

☻/
/▌
/ \

its my life sorry